Sunday, January 23, 2011

Introductions are in Order

My New Year's resolution was to explore my relationship to food.

It seemed like a better resolution to make than the usual "I'm going to lose twenty pounds."

'Cause really, I need to lose something more like forty pounds.

I'm about to be 40. I was raised by parents who grew up during the depression, so food during my childhood was hearty, and I was encouraged to clean my plate. Children starving in China, you know. Sadly, I wasn't encouraged to exercise. I've spent my adulthood trying to figure out how to eat healthy and get exercise, coming at it from a variety of different angles.

It seems like the more I learn, the less I know.

There are so many interpretations and fads about eating that it's hard to know what's right and what's wrong: low-carb, low-fat, paleolithic, atkins, south beach, and on and on. I like Michael Pollan's food rules, because they're so simple. I still struggle, though.

So, this year I am going to read and read and study and come at this from a new angle. And my mantra is "Another day, another chance to be healthy." I'm armed with a membership to the local gym, and a stack of books about local, healthy food and food systems. I'll share what I find and figure out here.

My partner and I plan to have a series of experiments and adventures over the course of the year. We'll tell you more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment