Thursday, January 27, 2011

I find it best to start at the beginning

Hello and welcome to our little project/experiment.

I'm Bear in "Bear and the Raven." The Raven and I have been talking a lot recently about sustainability, carbon footprints, nutrition and the economy of living locally.

Did you know that the average distance food travels from farm/ranch to table is in excess of 1500 miles? That number bothers me, especially since the Raven and I live in an area with a very prominent agricultural industry. We make a conscious effort to buy locally produced foodstuffs when we can.

Yes, that's right. We're budding locavores. I'm not ashamed to admit it!

The reasons are many, but not overly complex. Fresh food is better food. Locally produced foods typically are made using fewer undesirable chemicals, and less energy is expended getting it to our table. Moreover, by supporting local businesses at every step in the supply chain, we enrich our lives and communities, and keep money in the local economy that otherwise would flow out from our lives and enrich people who have no other connection to us.

This extends to how we spend our money on things that AREN'T food. We patronize locally owned shops, purchase things (when we can) that are made locally. I personally feel that it's important to support our local farmers, craftspeople, artisans and manufacturers. In an era of globalization, and race-to-the-bottom cost cutting measures, I choose not to reward those who have sacrificed quality or American jobs in order to increase profit-per-unit. It can be a long, exasperating process, but I think it's worth it. I'd much rather pay a few extra dollars for something made by a fellow American, than send my money to a large multinational corporation that implicitly supports labor practices in violation of the spirit of the US Constitution.

We have an interesting experiment coming up, and we're eager to share it with you. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment